This Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Asparagus and Hazelnuts is full of bright spring flavour.
Creamy with mushroom and nutty notes and then the asparagus and lemon give it some tangy bright notes.
I was pleasantly surprised when I first tasted it at how much flavour there is in here!
My chives are up so I added fresh chive garnish. Think of this like a blank canvas and add whatever fresh herb you have to top it off.
I served this with Air Fried Chicken Cutlets and it was a delicious combination.
I used Egg noodles as a base here. I like the broad egg noodles because they are a light, tender pasta and all those curls are perfect for capturing the sauce. You could use any curly or twisted pasta and it will be fine.
One of the key steps here is to reserve a bit of the pasta water that the noodles were cooked in. The starchy water will help you get the cream sauce to the consistency you want and will give it some stick-to-it-ness.
The hazelnuts are a nice touch as well and are a real nod to Italian fare. You could substitute toasted pine nuts or walnuts.
Wine Pairing for Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Asparagus and Hazelnuts
The cream sauce here will set the tone for the pairing. The earthy notes from the mushroom, the grassiness of the asparagus and the bright lemon garnish all point to a Sauvignon Blanc being a good partner here. The acid in the wine will cut through the cream sauce and the herbal notes in the wine will go with the asparagus.
After that any fresh (read good acid level) white with citrus in the profile will go nicely.
Lemon Ricotta Pasta With Asparagus and Hazelnuts
- 1 lb egg noodles farfalle would also work
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spears tough ends removed
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsps olive oil divided
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 3 Tbsps fresh chives
- Fresh lemon wedges for serving
- Heat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Spread asparagus on one sheet in single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Lay hazelnuts out in single layer on the second sheet and roast about 10 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn. Turn hot nuts out on to a clean tea towel. Fold the cloth over and gently rub cloth over the nuts and nuts together. Filter out the skins. Don't worry about the odd skin that sticks to a nut. Chop nuts to a medium/fine dice.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain when done, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Return pasta to the pot.
- Combine ricotta, sour cream and Parmesan until well mixed. Add to the pasta and stir well. If it is too dry add a bit of the pasta water at a time until it is the consistency you want. Add the asparagus. Toss mixture over medium heat until evenly heated through – about 3 minutes.
- Mound pasta in a serving bowl and top with hazelnuts, chives and more parmesan if desired. Serve with fresh lemon wedges so each diner can drizzle theirs with fresh lemon juice.