This Grilled Tomato Curry Spread is a perfect summer spread. Just grill a few Roma tomatoes the next time you are BBQing and then it only takes minutes to blend this all together.
Have you ever had Curry Ketchup? I think it is a German thing because you can find it in European Delis and the label is often in German. Don't knock it till you try it! I love it! Unfortunately it usually comes in a huge container and I can't use it up fast enough. So... I have been known to add a teaspoon of curry powder to my hamburger mix or to a regular ketchup.
This spread is rather reminiscent of that. It has deep flavour but the spices are not too strong.
You can vary the spices amounts to suit your taste. I find cumin can be overwhelming but if you are fan you could up it to say ½ tsp. If you are leery of curry cut it back to ¼ tsp.
Having said that - the way the recipe is written has a nice balance of flavours for my taste. No overwhelming or competing flavours.
This dip also freezes well. Just thaw, stir well and serve.
- Grill pan or mat
- ½ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup crushed grilled roma tomatoes skins removed (can substitute crushed canned fire-roasted tomatoes)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 16 oz cannellini or white beans drained, rinsed
- Heat grill to medium high. Brush grill mat with olive oil and place quartered roma tomatoes on grill. Close lid and grill about 12 minutes, turning occasionally. When cool enough to handle remove skins.
- Put water and garlic in saucepan or microwave dish large enough to hold all ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook about 5 minutes until liquid is reduced to about 2 Tbsps. Watch it doesn't go dry. Add tomatoes, and spices and cook/heat another 2 minutes. Stir in beans and cook 2 minutes more.
- Transfer mixture to blender and blend until smooth. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serve with flatbread, foccacia or crackers.