Goulash with Egg Noodles is a perfect comfort food! It only takes a few minutes to prep it and then you get to enjoy those heavenly smells as it cooks low and slow.
You can make this on the stove top or in your slow cooker if you want to set it up for the day and serve in the evening.
I bought a large package of stewing beef from Costco and went a bit crazy on the goulash. My mother-in-law made an amazing goulash soup so I was torn... traditional goulash or goulash soup? If you have the same dilemma, or would like to cook once and have a few different meals that you can freeze for future check out this Big Batch Goulash post! With 5-6 pounds of stewing beef you can make a big batch and split it into traditional goulash, soup (the best ever! I promise!) and a 'Shepherd's Pie'.
However, if you are just looking for a warming supper for a cold fall or winter evening, read on!
I like to serve the goulash on a bed of those broad, curly egg noodles. And I think goulash just begs for some garlicky mushrooms. All pretty easy and readily available.
This recipe is quite versatile, the amount of meat doesn't have to be precise, you can approximate the amount based on the package size available. You can increase the sauce, for example, if your passata jar is 1 ¾ cups or 2 cups just toss it all in.
The way the recipe is written you will get 6 generous serving or 8+ depending on appetite size.
If you like heat you could also add some dried red peppers when cooking or serving.
And... MAKE AHEAD! You can make this one day and serve the next, or make it and freeze it. As with most stews the flavour can actually develop after is sits overnight. If frozen, it reheats beautifully again, low and slow.
Go ahead and make it to suit your schedule!
- 2 ½ lbs stewing beef
- 4 Tbsps vegetable oil Divided 2 + 2
- 3 medium onions
- 2 Tbsps Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 tsps salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups Passata (strained tomato sauce)
- 2 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup water
Mushrooms and Noodle
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 0z sliced mushrooms like cremini
- 1 pkg broad egg noodles
- sour cream for garnish
- Heat oil in a dutch oven. Cook onions over medium heat about 7 minutes. Remove onions from pan.
- Combine salt, pepper and paprika in a bowl and toss the stewing beef cubes to coat with spice mixture.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsps of oil and brown the stewing beef over medium high heat. Cook quickly until all sides of beef cubes are evenly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and return onions to the dutch oven. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add passata and water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to lowest, cover and continue to simmer for about 2 hours.
Mushroom and Egg Noodles
- About a half hour before you are ready to serve, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook noodles according to manufacturer's instructions.
- While water is heating up, heat butter with garlic powder in a frying pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until moisture is released and evaporated. This may take about 15 minutes.
- To serve, drain noodles and spread on a serving platter. Heap Goulash in center and arrange mushrooms around the side of the goulash. Pass sour cream on the side.