Choco-holics! You will love this decadent Gluten Free Chocolate Cake. Use the best quality chocolate for a divine dessert!
I made this to take to a Port tasting. We were spoiled with 10 , 20 and 30 year old ports... What an experience! Chocolate and port go hand in hand beautifully. This cake is rich so a little goes a long way. Gluten free doesn't have to be boring!
I used President's Choice Dark Chocolate Bars that were 70% Cocoa. Then you amp it up with a bit of Cocoa powder. And... the secret ingredient is black coffee! Black coffee enhances the chocolate flavour. I don't know who figured that out but it is true!
I was making this Chocolate Salami. Chocolate Salami is a thing in Europe. I don't think I have seen a commercial version here in North America. But I tell you - it is deceptively simple to make and it is addictive! I was experimenting with that recipe, which calls for black coffee. I thought it would be fun to substitute various liqueurs. They were ok but when I made it once for a family event and wanted to avoid the alcohol component I went back to the original coffee version. I couldn't believe the difference. That small addition of coffee makes a difference you won't believe unless you try it both ways.
So... all that to say the coffee in this recipe plays a similar role!
I melt my chocolate in a heat proof bowl in a skillet with a few inches of water in the bottom. I find this is the most forgiving way to melt large quantities of chocolate. It doesn't take as long as a traditional bain-marie to heat up and it doesn't risk burning like the microwave.
This cake needs to chill for at least 4 hours to allow the glaze to set. That also means it is a great 'make ahead' recipe! Just before serving sprinkle it lightly with icing sugar.
Because the body of this flourless chocolate cake is quite firm I like to use a bit of fruit to garnish it on the plate and provide a bit of moisture. I like to use the frozen cherries from Costco. Fresh raspberries, blueberries or strawberries would also work well.
And - don't forget, you can serve this with a nice glass of ruby or tawny port or an expresso. Either one will make a memorable combination!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 1 12 oz chocolate bars (at least 70 % cocoa)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon black coffee cold
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3 cups fruit of your choice
- 1 12 oz chocolate bar (at least 70 % cocoa)
- ½ cup whipping cream
- icing sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray an 8" cake pan with cooking spray and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Place heat proof bowl in skillet with a couple of inches of water in the bottom. Melt 1 bar of the chocolate and the butter in a heat proof bowl in the skillet over medium heat.
- When melted remove the bowl from the heat. Add sugar, salt, vanilla, coffee and cocoa. Stir well and then beat in the 3 eggs. Beat 1-2 minutes til batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake 25 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- Melt the other chocolate bar in a heat proof bowl as per above. Add the whipping cream and stir well to combine.
- Turn the cake out onto a serving platter. Pour glaze over the cake allowing it to flow over the sides. Refrigerate cake at least 4 hours to let glaze set.
- To serve, sprinkle with icing sugar. Add a spoonful of fruit to side of each piece when serving.