You won’t believe the flavour you get from this fix it ‘n forget it Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff.
The pictures don’t do it justice. You would smell-e-vision to appreciate the aromas and you would need a soundtrack to pick up the oohs and aahhs and moans and groans going around the table at meal time.
The slow cooker approach let’s you do your initial prep and walk away and come back to a delicious, saucy, fall apart-tender topping for rice or noodles.
Egg noodles are traditional for stroganoff but rice or mashed potatoes would certainly work too.
Some recipes do not include paprika but to me the sour cream and the mild paprika accents are what make the dish dinstinctive.
There is a little bit of prep to brown the meat and vegetables and cook the mushroom but it is worth it.
I used Sirloin Tip Roast instead of stewing beef mostly because it was on sale one week and I had a couple of small roasts to use. I think it came out more tender than if I had used stewing beef but stewing beef would certainly work.
I have added stove top and oven cooking instructions as well in case you don’t want to make it in a slow cooker.
Low and slow will reward you with a fall apart tender, flavourful meal that is very warming and comforting in cooler weather.
Wine Pairing for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
I would suggest a medium to full bodied red wine here. The sauce is creamy and the paprika flavour is rather subtle so you don’t want to overpower it with a big tannic red. I would suggest a Southern Rhone GSM blend, a Beaujolias, or a Grenache.
If you lean to white then you want some body and acidity to stand up to the creamy sauce. Chardonnay, Viognier or Chenin Blanc would all be good candidates.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs Sirloin tip roast cubed and trimmed of excess fat or substitute stewing beef
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 3 Tbsps butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pat beef cubes dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in frying pan large enough to sear in one layer (or work in batches).
- Add beef and brown over medium high heat. About 4 minutes without stirring. Then flip the cubes and cook til browned.
- Transfer beef to the slow cooker. Melt butter in the skillet, add onions and cook about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and garlic and stir to coat. Add the beef stock.
- Transfer all to the slow cooker and cook on low 8 hours or high 5 hours.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook over medium/high heat until liquid is released and mostly evaporated. Set aside until the last 40 minutes of beef cooking.
- Add mushrooms, sour cream and paprika during last 40 minutes of cooking. Stir to mix well.
- Serve over broad egg noodles or rice.
- Variation: To cook in the oven transfer the beef mixture to a Dutch oven and cook covered at 350° for 2 hours. Add mushrooms, sour cream and paprika during last 30 minutes of cooking. Stir to mix well.
- Variation: to cook on stovetop add beef mixture to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer on low/medium low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally. When beef is fall apart tender it is ready.