Pulled pork in under 2 hours with only 15 minutes effort and 4 ingredients! Shh… it is so good they will never know you weren’t slaving in the kitchen… Or you can choose to fix it ‘n forget using a slow cooker method. Either way it will only take you about 15 minutes hands on time.
This is a perfect recipe for serving a crowd. It makes a lot and doesn’t need a lot of attention.
This dish is as good as the BBQ sauce you use. I used my Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce which I have canned this season. I can highly recommend it for a very interesting version of pulled pork but you can use any good quality BBQ sauce. Use one that appeals to you – Spicy, with Bourbon or Whiskey, or add a couple of TBSPs of bourbon or whiskey to the one you have.
Enjoy this on a toasted Kaiser bun with a side of slaw or corn on the cob!
I can make this in one pot – another bonus! You all know how much I love my Nesco Pressure Cooker. (This recipe is for you Elaine! You know who you are!!) If you don’t know check out how it compares to other popular brands here.
I used a pork loin roast with a generous fat cap. You do want a bit of a marbled cut so the pork will be moist. You could also use pork shoulder. I browned the roast in the pressure cooker with the Browning setting. Then I poured the BBQ sauce and water over the meat and set it up to pressure cook for 75 minutes. The recipe calls to let it release its pressure naturally which can take 15-20 minutes. Then I transferred the meat to a platter and shredded it with 2 forks. I have heard of people using a mixer for this but couldn’t bring myself to try it! Then I popped the meat back into the pressure cooker with the additional BBQ sauce and let it heat through on the slow cooker setting. You could probably use the warm function as well to hold it although I might microwave the additional BBQ sauce before adding just to make sure it is heated through consistently.
This just in – Newsflash from The Make Ahead Queen- you could do this on the slow cooker setting as well -say 4 hours on high or 7 on low, microwave the additional BBQ sauce and let it stay warm til you are ready to serve.
Pick the cooking method that suits the rhythm of your day!
Serve over a toasted bun and enjoy!
- 4 lbs pork roast (shoulder or loin with fat cap)
- 2 Tbsps canola oil for browning
- 2 cups BBQ sauce good quality -see notes above (divided 1 cup/1 cup)
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the oil in your multi-cooker or separate skillet.
- Cut the roast into 2 pieces and brown each piece on all sides. About 3 minutes per side.
- Add 1 cup of BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup water to the pressure cooker with the meat.
- Set your multi-cooker to pressure cooker for 75 minutes. (Follow your manufacturer's instructions for your unit).
- Allow pressure cooker to release steam naturally. (15-20 minutes) Remove meat and shred it on a platter with 2 forks. Return meat to the multi-cooker, add remaining 1 cup of BBQ sauce and allow to heat through.
- Serve on toasted buns.