This Curry and Fig Spread is savoury and delicious on crackers or apple slices.
I needed a spread in a hurry one day so I started scouting my pantry for ideas and ingredients.
This turned out really well. It is great with crackers or toasted pita points or flat bread.
I think it would also be good to dip carrot sticks or apple slices in too!
Chef's Tips for Curry and Fig Spread
- You can use a smooth spreadable cheddar, which is probably easiest. I was working with what I had on hand so I used old cheddar in brick format. It took a bit of extra blending to get the consistency completely smooth but it is certainly doable.
- I used Dillons Vermouth which has a bit of an orange taste to the profile. You could use any vermouth or sherry. If you want to avoid the alcohol use some orange juice.
- The dip will firm up after blending when it is chilled.
- Give it about 4 hours of fridge time to let the flavours meld.
- You can make this a day or 2 ahead and leftovers keep well for a day or 2 as well.
Wine Pairing for Curry and Fig Spread
The curry and fig flavours are both fairly assertive and rich. An full-bodied oaked Chardonnay orother full bodied white like a Fumè Blanc or old vine Chenin Blanc would all work .
On the Red side a full bodied, not too tannic would go well. Think Merlot, GSM blend or fruity Shiraz.
Curry and Fig Spread
- 8 oz cream cheese slightly softened
- 4 oz old cheddar preferably spreadable
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 Tbsps vermouth (can substitute sherry or orange juice)
- ½ + 3 Tbsps cup fig jam divided ½ cup + 3 Tbsps
- Combine cheeses, curry powder, liquid and ½ cup fig jam in blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with 3 Tbsps fig jam. Serve with crackers.