This delicious Creamy Sweet and Sour Cole Slaw is a great slaw any time, but adding dried cranberries turns it into a perfect Holiday side dish too!
The dressing is tangy and sweet and flavourful. I have never had a cole slaw dressing with garlic in it before that I know of. It is not over powering - it lends just a hint of complexity to the taste.
Our traditional Christmas dinner always includes cole slaw. I saw this recipe in a little local newspaper flyer and it immediately caught my attention. You just never know where recipe inspirations are going to turn up. The whipping cream/mayonnaise combination intrigued me and I wanted to try it. Since I was thinking Christmas dinner I thought adding dried cranberries would be a perfect addition of another sweet/tart flavour. Turns out I was right!
You can certainly leave the cranberries out and add whatever other additions you like. Grated carrots, green or red pepper, onions are all classic additions to a cole slaw.
I couldn't get enough of this cole slaw the first time I tasted it. Kinda like potato chips... you can't eat just one!
I think I have a new holiday favourite cole slaw!
Pin it for later!
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage (about half a small, dense cabbage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 4 green onions sliced finely
- ½ cup dried cranberries optional or substitute other traditional additions
- Shred cabbage with a mandolin or food processor.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Whisk until it is smooth.
- Mix cabbage and dressing. You can serve immediately but letting it rest 30 minutes will allow flavours to meld.