Creamy Mushrooms on Pita Toasts are an elegant finger food with a few classic ingredients.
Big flavour pay back on a few simple ingredients. I used cremini mushrooms because that is what I had but if you like you can use an assortment with oyster and shitake.
I bought whole cremini mushrooms and sliced them very finely. If you buy pre- sliced the prep time will be less.
Store bought pita make an easy vehicle for the mushrooms. The first time I 'over crisped' them and I was afraid my guests might break a tooth! So be careful not to let them get too toasted.
The pita's are spread with oil and garnished with sea salt to give a nice salty hit.
Thinly sliced toasted baguette or flat bread would work here as well. In that case you will want to give the mushroom mixture a sprinkle of sea salt -not coarse but not table fine either.
I added a hit of Piquillo peppers a) because I love them and b) I had some in my fridge I wanted to use! They are totally optional.
The other suggestion is to use fresh chives minced for garnish to amp up the herb aspect. Again optional.
You can serve this in individual cups to dip your pita chips in or just put in a a bowl and let guests spoon some on to their chips or baguette.
Best served warm.
PS. I had some left over and it makes a great addition to an omelet or spread over a flat bread 'pizza'.
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- ½ cup shallots minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs mushroom thinly sliced
- 2 tsps fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- minced fresh chives for garnish optional
- 1 tablespoon Piquillo peppers minced optional
- 3 pita breads
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Brush each pita with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Cut pitas into 8 wedges each.
- Bake until slightly crisp - about 6 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add mushrooms and thyme. Cook about 10 minutes till mushrooms have released their liquid and are golden brown.
- Add the wine and boil until liquid has evaporated. 2-4 minutes. Add the cream and piquillo peppers if using. Simmer until cream thickens- about 4 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Remove from heat and top with chives.
- Serve warm with pita chips.