Savoury, creamy mushrooms rolls pack a real flavour punch for such a tiny bundle! This finger food is a throwback to the heyday of 1960’s cocktail parties. This recipe came from my girlfriend in Montreal. Her parents used to serve them at parties and by extension so did she and now so do I! They are easy to prepare and you will be surprised how much flavour they have for just a few ingredients.
The original recipe calls for the creamy filling to be spread on crustless bread and then rolled into log shapes. I like this approach best because the toasty bread is a nice foil for the mushroom filling.
But they are also very good in little tartlets so if you don’t want to fiddle with rolling the bread fill mini tart shells with a Tablespoon of the filling and bake according to the tart shell instructions.
They are great with chives, especially in the spring when chives are freshly growing. I also like them with tarragon and my tarragon patch has offered up some tender young shoots just in time. You could substitute parsley as well.
I made these as part of a Mother’s Day Buffet Lunch. They are perfect finger foods for brunches, tea parties or cocktail parties.
- 8 oz cremini or white mushrooms finely diced
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 2 Tbsps chives finely minced (or sub tarragon)
- 2 Tbsps green onions finely minced
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- Remove crusts from bread.
- Lightly roll each slice of bread with rolling pin.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter 8-10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and flour and stir in well.
- Add cream and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Add onions and chives and allow to cool while oven is heating up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread mushroom mixture over each slice of bread. Make sure to spread completely to all edges. Roll up each slice of bread into log shape.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread logs out so they are not touching each other. Bake until bread is golden colour - about 15 minutes.
- Cut into thirds and serve warm.