This Cream of Mushroom Soup is tasty and fast. The mushroom flavor is built using mushroom broth, fresh mushroom and offset by a hint of tarragon. This soup was part of our Bordeaux wine pairing dinner. It was a perfect match for the strength of the Bordeaux wines- the cream softening the tannins and creating a delicious match.
It is fast to make using mushroom bouillon cubes. You don't always see mushroom cubes among the traditional beef, chicken and vegetable. I first saw them in Italy and it was one of those moments when it just made perfect sense, and you wondered why you had never thought of it before. I buy the Aurora brand that I can get at my local Food Basics. I have seen Knorr brand before as well. They are also good if you are making the Mushroom Marsala Risotto.
There is just a ½ cup of cream - you can choose 5%, 10%, 18% according to your taste. I use 10% because that is what we have on hand. So the half cup spread over 6 servings only about a tablespoon each serving so it can be a guilt free indulgence!
Serve with No Knead Dinner rolls and you have a nice lunch or first course!
- 4 tablespoon butter
- ¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 lb sliced cremini mushrooms reserve 18 slices for garnish
- 3 shallots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- ½ cup cream I used 10%
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Rough chop mushroom slices reserving 18 slices for garnish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add mushrooms and tarragon and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, til mushrooms have released their liquid.
- Add the shallots and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and sea salt and heat through.
- Blend til smooth in a blender. Add the cream and return to the stove. Stir to mix well and just heat through. Do not boil the cream.
- Serve and garnish with reserved mushroom slices.