This healthy Cauliflower Bechamel Sauce makes a big batch, which is good because it goes with so many great dishes and it freezes well.
I wanted to use it on this Vegetable Lasagna with Béchamel Sauce and it was delicious!
I have frozen the lasagna and it reheats beautifully. If you decide to make this big batch as per the recipe then you can freeze the extra sauce and reheat when you want to use it.
I have made the sauce a few times and frozen it so I have some on hand when I want to make a healthy Fettuccine Alfredo.
I divide the finished sauce between two large zip lock bags. I lay them flat and freeze them. A bag is good for one lasagne or pasta recipe.
Cauliflower Bechamel Sauce
- 2 large cauliflower heads enough for 8-10 cups of florets
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth low sodium
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1/4 cup 10 %cream
- Trim the leaves and core from the cauliflower heads and chop into pea size pieces.
- Steam or boil the cauliflower until it is VERY tender- at least 13 minutes. (Until the pieces can be roughly mashed with a fork.)
- Saute the garlic in the olive oil in a large pot. Then add the cauliflower/broth mixture to the pot along with the remaining ingredients. Blend with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until it is silky smooth.
- Add the cream to the cauliflower puree and heat through.
- See Notes below on how to use it.