This Carrot Orzo has way more taste than the simple ingredients might suggest and you can make in 20 minutes!
I served it with this Chicken Saltimbocca With Lemon Sauce and it got rave reviews from every guest!
Lucky for is it is cinch to make with everyday ingredients. The one suggestion I would make is use the best chicken broth you can source- homemade is ideal. Check out this easy Chicken Bone Broth recipe and never throw out a chicken carcass again!
This is a great way to incorporate some extra veggies in your meal. Try not to skip the green onions – they really add a bright contrast to the rest of the dish.
- 2 cups orzo
- 3 large carrots peeled, trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan grated
- 4 green onions chopped including some of darker green stalk
- 2 tsps fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pulse carrots in food processor until they are the size of the uncooked orzo grains.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and orzo and cook about 5 minutes, coating carrots and orzo with butter. While orzo and carrots are cooking heat the broth in the microwave. If you are using dried rosemary add it to the broth at this point.
- Add the garlic to the orzo and carrots and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the broth about 1 cup at a time to the orzo mixture. Stir while orzo is absorbing the liquid. Continue adding broth 1 cup at a time every few minutes. Mixture should be bubbling vigorously.
- When liquid has almost all been absorbed add the cheese, green onions, salt and fresh rosemary, if using fresh.
- Stir until cheese is melted and serve warm.