Carrot cake, carrot muffins - why not Carrot Rye Bread? This rustic loaf is moist and full of flavour!
It makes a great sandwich with roast beef, pastrami or Montreal smoked meat. I used it with this Champagne 3 Cheese Fondue.
Based on the fondue experience this bread would also make a very interesting grilled cheese sandwich.
It also makes a great side for a hearty soup or salad.
And here is another bonus... you can cube some of it, toss the cubes in oil and bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and they make FANTASTIC croutons. The first time I made some croutons from a loaf was for a dinner buffet party. The salad was the buzz of the evening all because of the croutons!
It does not overtly taste of rye or carrot. The flavours are melded together nicely. It is reminiscent of a hearty European bread.
This Carrot Rye Bread actually stays fresh a bit better than some homemade breads because the carrots keep it moist.
It makes a large loaf. I baked in a 10" cast iron skillet. If you are using a loaf pan you will get 2 loaves out of it.
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 ½ Tbsps sugar
- 1 ½ tsps dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups grated carrots about 4 medium
- 3 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 ½ tsps dry yeast
- Mix the all purpose and rye flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt, thyme in a large bowl. Ensure ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Peel and trim carrots. Pulse in food processor til they are finely grated.
- Combine water and oil in a separate cup.
- Add ingredients to the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Mine is Liquids (so water, oil and carrots), dry (flour mixture) and sprinkle yeast on top.
- Set machine to dough cycle.
- Lightly oil a cast iron skillet or 2 loaf pans. When dough cycle is done remove dough and shape into a round ball in the skillet or into loaves. Cover and allow to rise another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 3 diagonal slits on top of the dough. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until it golden brown and sounds slightly hollow when tapped.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.