Baby cucumbers or dill size cucumbers are great in this salad. 'Pickled' onions add a kick and fresh dill adds flavour.
You could make this with English cucumbers but when the baby or dill size cucumbers are available they are just a bit firmer and more flavourful. What a treat at this time of year!
The dressing is a mix of sour cream and mayonnaise. You can use light versions of both to keep it light and healthy.
I like a bit of heat so while the 'pickled' onions add tang I like to add a bit of minced Hot Cherry Peppers. You could also add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a hint of heat.
Sprinkle the salad with coarse sea salt just before serving. If you add the salt too early it will draw water out of the cucumbers and water down the dressing.
Get the instructions for Quick Pickled Onions here. They need an hour to sit but they will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
You don't have to use the vegetable zester to cut strips of the cucumber skin off but it does help if you have more mature cucumbers because the peel can get bitter. Plus... it looks pretty!
- 2 cups baby cucumbers
- ⅓ cup Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill fronds chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Hot Cherry Peppers minced (optional)
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Wash cucumbers and with a zester cut strips of peel off about 1" apart. Thinly slice cucumbers.
- Add the dill, onions and hot pepper if using.
- Mix the mayonnaise and sour cream and stir into the salad. Season with sea salt just before serving.