Nothing could be easier than this cool, refreshing Avocado Mango Salad with its Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette.
This will be a refreshing salad in hot weather but it is also welcome in Spring when we are all chomping at the bit for warmer weather.
Thankfully the ingredients are readily available all year long.
The creamy vinaigrette is so easy to whisk together, this salad will come together in no time.
The dressing with its mustard tang goes really well with shrimp too. I have included an option to add cooked shrimp and serve it on Bibb lettuce if you want to make this a lunch salad or a more substantial appetizer.
It would also make a great side dish with salmon or chicken or pork tenderloin.
And… you may not have noticed yet but there is no salt added here. So- healthy- bonus!
If you use pre-cleaned and cooked shrimp it remains an incredibly easy salad to toss together.
I have suggested you chop the avocado and add it just before you are ready to serve just to be on the safe side of the potential browning issue. Having said that if you toss all the ingredients with the vinaigrette to create an air seal for the avocado you can get away with a few hours in the fridge before serving. Just enough time to make it eligible for a picnic I think!
Wine Pairing for Avocado Mango Salad with Creamy Vinaigrette
The creamy dressing and delicate flavours here call for a crisp white wine with good acidity. Because the mango and the dressing add some sweetness to the dish I would recommend an off-dry Riesling, Pinot Gris or even Gewurztraminer.
You might get away with a Chardonnay, Viognier or Chenin Blanc if they have been designed to appeal to a broad audience. Bulk produced wines often contain a fair amount of residual sugar that makes them easy quaffing.
Avocado Mango Salad With Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 English cucumber peeled and seeded
- 2 large mangoes
- 3 avocados
- 1 Bibb letttuce leaves optional
- 1 lb cooked, peeled shrimp optional
- 1 1/2 Tbsps white vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsps sugar
- 3 Tbsps Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsps mayonnaise
- Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together and stir to incorporate. Allow at least a 1/2 hour for flavours to meld.
- You may choose to cut away strips of the cucumber peel, leaving some green contrasting peel. Quarter cucumber lengthwise. Run a small spoon the length of the cucumber to remove the seeds. Cut cucumber into 1/2 " cubes.
- Cut the fleshy faces off the mango. Peel off the tough outer skin. Cut pulp into 1/2" cubes.
- Just before ready to serve, halve avocados, remove pits and scoop the flesh out of the peel. Cut in to 1/2" cubes.
- Toss cucumber, mango and avocado (and shrimp if using) with the creamy dressing. Serve on Bibb lettuce leaves if desired.