August is the perfect time to make peach pie. Peach pie is definitely in the running to be my favourite pie.
I think August may be my favourite month because it is still summer, the evenings cool down so you can sleep and so much of Ontario’s fruits and vegetables are coming into season.
This pie is pretty easy to make as pies go.Start with the Easy Pie Crust recipe.
Here is a tip on peeling the peaches (works for tomatoes too). Fill a dutch oven with water and bring to a boil. Cut an X into the base of each peach, just breaking the peel. Drop into the simmering water and after 30 seconds to a minute spoon them out into a sink or bowl full of cold water. The peels will literally start falling off and with a sharp knife you can take off all the skin in just seconds by starting at each corner of the X. Ripe peaches can be pretty easy to peel until you hit a patch not quite as ripe.
A few times I have thought I wouldn’t bother with the dutch oven and heating the water – regretted it every time!
The other thing is don’t skimp on the peaches. I used about 16 medium sized peaches.
Peach pie is delicious served with Cinnamon Ice Cream – yum! You can substitute a dollop of whipped cream for the ice cream if you wish.
- 1 Easy Pie Dough recipe
- 4 lbs peaches (about 16 medium or 12 large)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oveen to 425 degrees F.
- Mix sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Peel peaches. (See tip above). Cut peaches into pieces about 1 " cubed. Mix peaches into flour mixture.
- Roll out dough and place bottom dough in pie plate. Fill with peach filling. Cover with top dough and crimp edge. Cut slits in the center of top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie 15 minutes at 425 then reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with Cinnamon Ice Cream or a dollop of whipped cream.