After much experimentation – I present Apple Cider Ripple Ice Cream!
I am so excited about this ice cream! I wanted to accentuate the apple flavour because the idea of an apple ice cream dessert in fall is very appealing.
Again – I wonder why there is no commercial flavour of apple ice cream? The only thing I can think of is because ice cream often accompanies and apple dessert – like pie or cobbler maybe they think that is enough apple.
I disagree! This Apples Cider Ripple Ice Cream is rich and delicious.
It is good on its own or beside a dessert like this Pumpkin Apple Cake !
Full disclosure- it is very rich! You don’t need very much so I have suggested 12 servings. You might even get more if you are using dainty scoops on the side of a dessert plate.
Apple Cider Flavour
- 2 cups apple cider I used sparkling hard cider.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple sauce Reserve to the side.
- 1 1/2 cups 10% cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups 35% cream
- Heat Half and Half, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat it until it just starts to bubble but do not let it boil.
- Meanwhile whisk egg yolks until slightly lighter in colour and a bit frothy. (About 2 minutes).
- Remove stove mixture from heat. Add approximately 1 Tbsp of hot cream mixture into the egg yolk stirring constantly. Add slowly and stir egg yolks so the yolks don't cook or curdle. Add another Tbsp of hot cream to the yolks stirring in well. Then slowly add the tempered egg yolks into the rest of the cream mixture. Be sure to stir while adding.
- Put the cream mixture back on the stove and cook it for a few minutes more until it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream.
- Chill mixture and process in ice cream maker according to your appliances directions. (You can make the mixture the day ahead and chill overnight.)
- For my Deni Ice Cream maker I would put the cream mixture in a sealed container in my freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight. Then I would process it in the ice cream maker for approximately 20 minutes. I would then pour soft serve directly from the machine into the ice cream container I will use to store it in the freezer.
Apple Cider Flavouring
- While mixture is chilling- make the Apple Cider Flavouring. (Or flavouring can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge.)
- Add 2 cups cider, cinnamon stick, ground cinnamon and sugar to a medium saucepan. Stir over medium high heat until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Stir frequently in the beginning and constantly toward the end. Mixture should be clear and syrupy. Pour out of pan and cool in a separate container.
- When Ice cream is ready according to your ice cream maker instruction and has been poured into the freezer container, empty the applesauce onto the top of the ice cream in the center. Empty the cider syrup on top of the apple sauce. (You may need to warm the cider mixture slightly to make it pour.) With a knife swirl the apple sauce and syrup in figure 8 motion around the container. You want to see streaks of apple sauce/syrup.
- Freeze container about 4 hours to firm up. Remove from freezer 20-40 minutes before serving.