This is a great ice cream flavour for fall! It goes well with apple pie, cobblers or crisps. This uses heavy cream and egg yolks so it is quite rich. You only need a small amount to satisfy!
Apple Cider Ice Cream
- 2 cups apple cider ( I use hard cider but you could use regular)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups 35% cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 egg yolks lightly whisked
- Combine apple cider, sugar and cinnamon stick in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until it is reduced to ⅔ cup. This may take 25 minutes or more.
- Remove from heat and remove cinnamon stick. Stir in milk and then cream. Mix well. Then add the cinnamon and egg yolks. Whisk until well incorporated and smooth.
- Return sauce pan to medium heat and cook, stirring often until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This may take about 20 minutes. Pour custard through a fine strainer to a medium bowl and cool.
- Refrigerate until chilled (a couple of hours at least).
- Process chilled custard in your ice cream maker according to machine's instructions. Transfer to a storage container and freeze at least 4 hours.