Antipasto Skewers are quick and easy to make and are a substantial appetizer. They are perfect make ahead party or picnic bites.
I chose to use cocktail or grape tomatoes, bocconcini cheese balls, tortellini and marinated mushrooms. I love this combination but you can switch it up to include any of your favourite items or what you have on hand.
Think - salami, pepperoncini, Italian cheese cubes, pickled onions, piquillo peppers, olives (lots of choices here for flavoured,marinated olives).
But.. back to my version. I was trying to keep it light so I was trying to keep the cheese and salami quotient down...hence the marinated mushroom and tomatoes. The tortellini are tossed in pesto and sprinkled with a bit of parmesan cheese while they are still warm. You get a big flavour hit with built in portion control! Very clever I thought...
I made my own marinated mushrooms. This is one of my new favourite summer condiments. If you don't want to make your own (although they are pretty easy and delicious!) you can easily buy them from specialty delis or jars of them from the pickle section of your grocery store.
These skewers make great party or picnic food. You can make them ahead, they store and transport well.
- 12 oz pkg Cheese Tortellini or flavour of your choice
- 2 Tbsps pesto sauce
- 2 Tbsps grate parmesan cheese
- 24 grape tomatoes rinsed
- 24 marinated mushrooms
- 6 bocconcini balls optional (halved)
- 12 8 " wooden skewers
- Cook tortellini according to manufacturer's instructions. Rinse, drain and allow to cool slightly. Toss warm tortellini with pesto and parmesan.
- Thread a skewer with a tomato, tortellini ,mushroom, bocconcini if using, tortellini, mushroom, tomato. You can adjust the order or quantity to suit your taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.