This simple Almond and Asiago Salad is tasty and you can make it up in minutes.
This first appeared in the Food And Drink Autumn 2022 edition. They called it Triple A Salad because it used Arugula, Almond and Asiago as ingredients.
I had to mofidy if since I had mixed greens rather than plain Arugula.
They also ask for Tamari Almonds. What is Tamari anyways? It is a Japanese version of soy sauce but it does not include wheat. It uses twice the amount of soy beans and may be less salty. If you are looking for strictly gluten free check the bottle ingredients. It shouldn’t contain wheat but some may.
I didn’t have Tamari Almonds on hand either so I sprinkled a teaspoon of Tamari over some roasted almonds that I had. After 5 minutes in the Air Fryer they were crunchy and toasty.
The dressing is very simple using fresh lemon juice as the acid. A good light olive oil or grapeseed oil and a hint of honey and you have a nice, fresh but tasty side salad.
Since the saltiness of the Tamari almonds or the make-your-own-version may vary the dressing uses less salt than an average recipe. If you are sensitive to salt though you may consider omitting salt all together from the dressing or reducing it further.
Almond and Asiago Salad
- 6 cups mixed greens original asked for Arugula
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese shaved in slivers
- 1/2 cup toasted Tamari almonds see Note 1 to make your own
- 2 Tbsps chopped chives optional
- 3 Tbsps lemon juice preferably fresh
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 Tbsps light olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper See note 2
- Coarsely chop Tamari almonds. See Note 1 if making your own version. Toss greens, almonds and shaved Asiago in a large bowl.
- Mix all dressing ingredients. Toss dressing with the salad to coat and serve.