Crispy, breaded Air Fryer Cod Loins are complemented with sweet, tangy Jezebel Sauce.
What a simple way to add a big flavour hit to a dish! I love the crispy breading but in theory you could just cook the cod with the sauce slathered on it if you like. The breading keeps the fish more tender though.
Jezebel Sauce is fruity and tangy but overall has a mustard-y profile. It is quite subtle in the end but you know it is there.
What If I Don't Have Jezebel Sauce?
This is a very valid questions since I have never seen Jezebel Sauce in a store in Canada! You might find in on Amazon but even the American Amazon did not currently have it in stock. So... even though it is easily made, if that isn't for you then consider substituting any sweet, chutney type sauce here. Major Grey's Chutney would be a great option but there are lots of fruit based chutneys out there too!
I served the cod with this Grilled Potato Salad with Mustard Seed Vinaigrette. It sounds a bit odd to my ears but I can assure you it was a rave hit. I was actually a little surprised and delighted that my husband enjoyed it so much since he is pretty firmly in the camp of a classic German potato salad. The mustard profile of the potato salad goes perfectly with the hint of mustard in the Jezebel Sauce on the cod!
Of course you can cook the cod in the regular oven as well. Instructions for regular oven are included in the recipe variations.
Wine Pairing for Air Fryer Cod with Jezebel Sauce
Here you want to pair the wine to the sauce since it is sweet and fruity. I would look for an off-dry, fruity white like a Riesling or Gewurztraminer. A floral off-dry Torrontés could work as well.
If you are fan of rather sweet wines then this is your chance to pair with a Blush Zinfandel from the US which is typically on the sweet side.
Of course an off-dry Sparkling would work. Prosecco would be perfect here but any fruity Sparkling would work.
Note: If you decide to serve this with the Grilled Potato Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette the meal becomes a bit more savoury so check out the recommendation that go with the Potato Salad recipe!
Air Fryer Cod with Jezebel Sauce
- 4 cod loins preferably about 2" thick
- ¼ cup Jezebel Sauce
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Pat cod loins dry with paper towel. If they have been defrosted squeeze gently to remove excess liquid.
- Slather Jezebel sauce on all sides of the cod.
- Roll the cod in panko bread crumbs. Spray the breading lightly with olive oil.
- Spray the trays for the Air fryer. Set to Air fry setting and cook about 18 minutes, turning the tray around half way through. Check for internal temperature of about 135°. Temperature will continue to rise during the resting period.
- For regular oven, preheat the oven to 350 °. Bake about 20 minutes and check for internal temperature of about 135°. Temperature will continue to rise during the resting period.
- If you don't have an instant read thermometer lightly try to separate the cod with a fork. If it separate into flake it is ready.
- Allow cod to rest about 5 minutes before serving.