Air Fried Chicken Cutlets are crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.
Of course you can make them in a skillet as well so I have included pan frying instructions in the actual recipe as well.
I find chicken breasts are so huge nowadays that I often only eat half a one. So this recipe that cuts them in half horizontally works out pretty well!
It only takes a few minutes to pound them out and if you use 3 layers of plastic wrap you won’t have to worry about cleaning all the little ridges of your meat mallet.
I made a batch of these and after the breading was done I froze half the batch and cooked the other half.
They freeze and reheat beautifully. The might become a freezer staple!
I had a really interesting Italian bread that was rather rustic and had Parmesan and Asiago cheese baked into it. So I made that into my bread crumbs. I just whisked the bread in my food processor to a coarse crumb and toasted the crumbs in the oven for about 15 minutes until they were golden brown.
So in the recipe I added some grated Parmesan into the commercial bread crumbs called for. But – if you have a heel of some interesting bread consider using that and adding parmesan or garlic powder to jazz it up.
I served them with this delicious Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Asparagus and Hazelnuts and it was a great combination!
Wine Pairing for Air Fried Chicken Cutlets
The breading hear adds some weigh to the chicken and I like to serve it with a lemon wedge so I would suggest a white with good acid and some body like a Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Viognier.
For red fans think Beaujolais, Gamay or a GSM blend.
Air Fried Chicken Cutlets
- air fryer
- 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsps finely grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil for spritzing
- lemon wedges optional
- Cut each chicken breast in half vertically to make 6 cutlets.
- Place each cutlet between double plastic wrap sheets and pound lightly with a meat mallet until they are about 1/4 to a 1/2" thick.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in one bowl. Whisk eggs in a second bowl. Mix panko and Parmesan in a third bowl.
- Dredge cutlets in flour dish, then egg, then bread crumbs. Cutlets should be evenly coated. Transfer each cutlet to a platter.
- You can wrap and freeze the cutlets in a single layer at this point. You can also refrigerate for 30 minutes or more to help the breading adhere well.
- When ready to cook, choose a setting that will give you 375°. Preheat the air fryer if necessary for your air fryer. (°See note below for pan frying.)
- Spritz each cutlet with oil and position in single layer on your tray(s). Cook 8-10 minutes turning cutlets at mid point. If using more than one tray you may need to rotate the trays at mid point as well. Coating should be evenly browned and internal temperature should have reached 165°. Air fry in batches if necessary.
- If cooking from frozen check internal temperature after 22 minutes following instructions above.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Note: My Air fryer is a Pampered Chef one and I absolutely love it! I have not tried others but based on my research the Pampered Chef with its 2 tray and cube configuration is more versatile than others. You can actually do a 2-3 lb rotisserie chicken in it! it toasts, roasts, bakes, reheats, dehydrates besides air frying. No folks… this is not a sponsored post – I am just sharing my enthusiasm! If you are in Kitchener -Waterloo Ontario, Canada region you can check out Pampered Chef products here https://www.pamperedchef.ca/pws/karenlair or contact a local Pampered Chef rep at email@example.com.