This Warm Goat Cheese Salad is perfect for summer and when greens and fresh herbs are readily available.
You can toast the goat cheese in a skillet just before serving. If you have a BBQ sheet you could brush it with oil and warm them on the BBQ if you wanted to as well. I don't think they would get as crispy on the BBQ as they do in the skillet though.
This salad is full of flavour with a tangy dressing and 4 kinds of herbs. You can use any herb combination that you like or have on hand. Tarragon would be good. Dill would be a nice substitution as well. Sage could be interesting as well if you are making it in the fall.
The Vinaigrette is similar to a classic French Vinaigrette.
Wine Pairing for Warm Goat Cheese Salad
An herbal Sauvignon Blanc would be perfect with this tangy, herbed salad. Two recent offerings from Vintages are suggested below but you could look for any New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or Entre Deux Mers from France. Muscadet Sèvre et Maine from the Loire region in France would also be a good choice here.
Huntaway Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2017 Marlborough, New Zealand, VINTAGES#: 536276 $19.95
This is very bold example of the characteristic Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc style. Pronounced herbal, grassy nose. Palate is highly savoury with gooseberry, guava and minerality. Long finish. Bold but well balanced. Try with savoury cheesecake. Tasted July 2019 www.thewineloverskitchen.com 90
Château Vermont Prestige Blanc 2017 Bordeaux, France VINTAGES#: 668848 $14.95
This white Bordeaux blend of 70% Sauvignon Blanc, 20% Semillon and 10% Sauvignon Gris is a refreshing pour. There is grapefruit and pineapple on the nose and the palate leans to the grassy, savoury Sauvignon Blanc style. Round and smooth. All nicely balanced. There is a lot going on here for the price. Very good value. Try it with creamy pasta or grilled fish. Tasted July 2019. www.thewineloverskitchen.com 89
- 1 10 oz log goat cheese
- 1 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil finely chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten til foamy
- 12 cups mixed greens
- 4 cocktail tomatoes or 2 regular tomatoes
- 2 Tbsps oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled and halved
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Cut the goat cheese logs into 8 equal rounds. Combine the panko, herbs and spices in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Shape the goat cheese pieces into a ball and flatten slightly with your hands. Dip the cheese in the egg and then roll in the panko mixture til well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Clean greens and tomatoes and chop into bite size pieces as required.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cheese rounds and cook about 3 minutes per side til coating is golden and crisp.
- Toss greens and tomatoes in a bowl and toss with vinaigrette (see below for vinaigrette). Divide salad among 4 plates and position 2 goat cheese patties on each plate.
- Serve while goat cheese is warm.
- Place garlic in the oil in a microwaveable cup. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove garlic to a bowl or cutting board. Reserve oil.
- Using 2 forks cream the garlic and add basil, vinegar and mustard to the garlic mash. Gradually whisk in the garlic oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.