This Walnut, Beet, Feta Salad makes a substantial addition to a meal since beets tend to be a satisfying vegetable.
You can make this year round and if you use canned beets and mandarins it is a cinch to throw together.
The key to this salad is the combination of toasted walnuts and walnut oil. Walnut oil is available in better delicatessens. It is a bit pricey but a little bit goes a long way. Keep it in the fridge (your walnuts too) since walnuts are quite susceptible to going rancid. Walnuts are so good for you and this is a tasty way to incorporate them into your diet.
Walnut oil is also good for you. It has omega 3's, antioxidants; acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps improve gut health.
You could also make a variation of this salad by using hazelnut oil and toasted hazelnuts. Yum... and yes.. this is salad recipe # 4 with fruit in it!
- 2 14 oz cans of sliced beets
- ¼ cup red onion finely slivered
- 1 10 oz can mandarin pieces
- ¼ cup walnuts pieces
- 6 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 Tbsps walnut oil
- black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and toast walnuts in shallow pan, 15-20 minutes. Watch carefully-they can burn quickly.
- Arrange beets slices on platter. Sprinkle onions, mandarin pieces and feta evenly over the bed of beets
- Top with toasted walnuts. Finish with black pepper.
- Drizzle walnut oil evenly over all.