This super easy Corn Salad With Grilled Green Onions is great summer or fall!
In summer you can make this in a few minutes if you have the grill fired up for a BBQ. In fall or winter just use your broiler.
Don't skimp on the green onions! They add a charred smoky note that takes this salad over the 'hohum' scale.
What a great way to get extra veggies in to your meal - not to mention the colour on your plate!
Chef's Tips for Corn Salad With Grilled Green Onions
- I made this in the fall with frozen corn. I make sure NEVER to overcook corn. It loses the fresh, milky character. For this I microwaved the 3 cups for about 3 minutes in the microwave - just enough to defrost them but not actually cook them.
- This salad is a bit of a blank canvas. I think it would be great with some minced jalapenos added as well. That would really make a Tex-Mex effect! A few grape tomatoes could add interest along with or instead of the peppers. Use your imagination!
- The dressing makes much more than you actually need. You could reduce the ingredients if you like or just retain the extra for use in a tossed salad. It is like a creamy, mustard vinaigrette. I only use enough to BARELY coat the corn. It doesn't take much to overwhelm the corn and green onion flavours.
Corn Salad With Grilled Green Onions
- 12 green onions root end trimmed and a few inches off dark green end
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ground sea salt and fresh pepper
- 3 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ cups red and/or orange sweet peppers finely diced
- 1 ½ Tbsps white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon minced
- 2 ½ tsps Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 3 Tbsps sour cream
- Set oven to broil or heat BBQ on high.
- Trim and clean green onions.
- Coat bottom of a baking pan or BBQ grill with oil. Toss green onions in oil. Season with fresh ground salt and pepper.
- Grill or broil until slightly charred. This could take up to 10 minutes but watch carefully to ensure they don't burn.
- When slightly charred cut them into 1" lengths.
- Heat corn kernels in the microwave so they are just warm. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Add in peppers and green onion.
- For the dressing add vinegar, tarragon, mustard and sugar in the blender. Add the oil in a slow but steady stream so it emulsifies to a cream dressing. Add sour cream and blend in. You will have extra dressing.
- Stir a small amount of dressing into the corn mixture -just enough to coat. If you add too much dressing you will lose the fresh flavour of the corn and green onions. Reserve the remainder of the dressing for another use.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.