This Pistachio Date Appetizer is so easy to make but they pack a very interesting punch!
I soaked the dates in white port to soften them a bit. You could use red port or orange juice or a bit of red or white wine if you don't have white port.
Buy nice pitted dates. I had a big bag from Costco that we were using for smoothies and other recipes. They tasted great but they didn't looks so appetizing. For my next party I will ferret out some nice plump uniform dates. I will repost photos when available.
I was also able to buy pistachios already shelled. I got mine in my local grocery store but I know you can also buy them at Bulk Barn. That sure takes a lot of work out of the equation!
These tick a lot of boxes - gluten free, no cook, only 4 ingredients!
You can switch these up to suit your taste - sub pecans for the pistachios if you like, sub cream cheese for the goat cheese if you like. I have not tried this but I have read that even peanut butter goes well with dates. (Let me know if you have tried dates with peanut butter!! )
Pistachio Stuffed Date Appetizer
- 24 whole pitted dates get the plumpest, most uniform dates you can find
- ¼ cup white Port can sub wine or orange juice
- 3 oz goat cheese at room temperature
- 2 Tbsps finely crushed pistachios
- 24 whole pistachios for garnish
- Pour port over the dates and let them steep for 20 minutes.
- Mix goat cheese and crushed pistachios together. When dates have steeped drain off the liquid and add it to the goat cheese mixture.
- Split each date and fill with goat cheese mixture. Top with a whole pistachio.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Can be made a day a head.