If you are a fan of pickled beets this Pickled Beet Salad is for you! Spicy, sweet, substantial and easy!
If you are not a fan then maybe go to the next recipe 'cuz those beets are going to be everywhere in this salad!
You are going to start with a jar of pickled beets and you are going to use the juice to pickle hard boiled eggs and red onion as well as for the base for your dressing. Follow the link in the ingredients for instructions on how to make perfect hard boiled eggs.
To start with transfer the beets from your jar. Julienne 2 cups of them and transfer into a separate container. Reserve the remainder of the beets in another container. Then you are going to gently add your hard boiled eggs and slivered onions to the jar with the pickled beet juice.
The eggs and onion need 24 hours to 'pickle' in the beet juice. You don't want to leave the eggs much more than 24 hours in the juice or it will seep into the yolk and discolour the yolk. The onions can stay as long as you like. So you need to plan ahead a bit.
When I was making my salad I just removed the eggs from the pickle juice around the 24 hour mark and transferred them to a separate container until I was ready to assemble the salad.
The amounts for the ingredients here are flexible. Especially the beets - you can use anywhere from ½ of them to all of them depending on how much you like them and how much volume of salad you want.
You could add some toasted walnuts if you want to doll it up a bit. Toasted walnuts and beets are a perfect combination. You could also add croutons if you like.
With the eggs and the feta you have a good amount of protein going on here. This would serve 4 as a main salad and 6 or more as a side.
- 1 24 oz jar pickled beets
- 5 hard boiled eggs peeled and whole
- 1 medium red onion thinly slivered vertically
- 5 oz feta cheese grated
- 6 cups arugula or greens of your choice
- 3 Tbsps pickled beet juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Prepare hard boiled eggs, cool and peel. You can cook the eggs up to 3 days prior.
- Remove beets from the pickled beet jar. Take about 2 cups of beets and sliver thinly, vertically and store in a separate container. Reserve the remainder in a separate container. (You can use more beets to suit your taste)
- Submerge the hard boiled eggs and the onion slivers in the liquid, seal the jar and refrigerate for 24 hours. If not ready to assemble the salad remove the eggs from the juice and transfer to a separate container.
- Spread greens out on a platter. Remove the onion slivers and eggs from the beet juice. Slice the eggs into thin rounds. Spread onions and eggs and beets evenly around the greens.
- Mix the dressing in a jar and shake well. Sprinkle over the salad. Distribute the grated feta evenly over the salad.
- Serve and enjoy!