Oven roasting potatoes has got to be one of the easiest ways to cook potatoes. Stick them in the oven and you are free to work on the rest of the meal preparation. No pots bubbling and boiling over...
I like a meal that is all done in the oven. You just have to get your timing right on the different dishes. I was making this Lemon Oregano Pork Loin Roast so I decided to make Thyme Roasted Carrots and Oven Roasted Potatoes to go with it.
Easy Peasy! The roast needed about 90 minutes to cook. Small to medium potatoes and carrots take roughly the same amount of oven time. The roast was in at 375 degrees on the lower rack so I put the carrots and potatoes on the upper rack. If the roast had not been on the bottom I would have set the vegetables at 350 degrees.
Cooking time will depend on the size of your potatoes.
I would check mini-potatoes after 30 minutes, small potatoes after 40. Medium to large I would check at 45 minutes but they could take up to 60.
If your potatoes are really new you may not need to peel them. In that case ensure you really scrub them well. Otherwise peel them.
There isn't really any trick to this. Spray an oven proof pan where they fit all in a single layer. Leave a bit of space between them so the hot air can circulate. I like to melt my butter and coat the potatoes before they go in the pan. That way they get a nice brown crust on the outside.
Check them for doneness with a fork. When the fork pierces them easily- they're done. Sprinkle them with coarse sea salt and chopped parsley and serve.
If the potatoes happen to be done before the rest of the meal, cover them loosely with foil. You can hold them in an oven at 250 degrees or if the oven is in use hold them on top in front of the vent or in a warming drawer. They are very forgiving!
- 12 small to medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 4 sprigs parsley minced
- seal salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray an oven proof pan.
- Wash or peel the potatoes.
- Melt butter and mix with olive oil.
- Dip each potato in the butter/oil mix. Ensure each potato is fully coated. Position potatoes in the pan in a single layer leaving some space between them. Reserve the remaining butter/oil mix.
- Roast potatoes checking for doneness after 30-40 minutes. When potatoes are fork tender remove from the oven.
- Rewarm the remaining butter/oil mix and pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle with sea salt and parsley just before serving.