Lots of flavour in this Make Ahead Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Breakfast Casserole!
Hands on time to prep this hearty breakfast casserole is only about 20 minutes. Then the rest of the time you can be doing other things.
Bake time is about an hour so take that into account the morning you plan to serve this. It needs to sit at least 30 minutes for the bread to soak up the milk but the good news is – you can make this the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
Nothin’ new about that approach now!
Chef’s Tips for Breakfast Casserole
- Use a sturdy or rustic bread. Not only will it add to the flavour but the texture will not end up soggy or mushy.
- Use your favourite breakfast sausage. Again the sausage is an opportunity to add flavour to your taste.
- The recipe calls for whole milk but you can use 2% or even skim without impacting the flavour.
- You could add some spicy pepper as part of the pepper amount to give it a bit of a kick. Think Peppadew or a bit of jalapeno…
- Leftovers reheat well. Freezing is not recommended.
Make Ahead Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Breakfast Casserole
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 Tbsps butter
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup roasted red pepper drain if using jarred. Chop roughly.
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 Tbsps fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1b breakfast sausage cooked and sliced into rounds
- 8 cups French bread in 1" cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella grated
- Spray a 10" casserole dish with at least 2 " sides with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs and milk until well mixed.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Sauté onion and celery about 5 minutes. Add peppers and garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove vegetables from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Next mix in sausage slices and bread cubes. Toss till well mixed.
- Add in egg mixture. Mix well and transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or cover and leave overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle cheese evenly over casserole.
- Bake until browned and puffed- about 1 hour.
- Allow casserole to cool 15-30 minutes.
- Spoon out casserole to plates and serve.