A Bon Appetit reader requested the Jim 'N Nick's Barb-B-Q Cole Slaw recipe and lucky for us they did!
Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q ranks # 7 out of 283 restaurants in North Charleston, South Carolina on Trip Advisor. They are a chain with various locations throughout the South. You can check here to find a location you may be able to access from your home or during travels to the South. The good news is they also have mail order for some of their ingredients! Wow... that could open up all kinds of opportunities for your home Bar-B-Qing!
I served this with another highly acclaimed restaurant recipe - Lemon Pepper Haddock Bites from the Dennis Point Cafe in Nova, Scotia, Canada. A match made in heaven if I do say so myself!
This Cole Slaw is tangy and vinegar-y. You marinate the cabbage in vinegar and sugar and then drain it. The marinade softens the cabbage a bit and then you add just a hint of mayonnaise.
I was tempted however to add a bit more mayonnaise than the original recipe called for - ½ cup for 12 servings instead of ¼ cup. I think it would also be good with a few red pepper flakes or minced medium hot pepper. Amp that tang up and go for broke!
I have written the recipe as per the original. I am always happy to find slaw recipes that are light on the fat content (even if I did double it in mine!).
This recipe makes a lot so you may want to halve it. It does keep well though so if you want leftovers make the whole thing!
- 1 head green cabbage about 2 pounds
- 1 ¼ cups apple cider vinegar See Note1 below
- 1 cup sugar See Note1 below
- 1 cup grated peeled carrots
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsps mayonnaise (I used ½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Quarter cabbage and cut crosswise into ⅛ inch thick slices. You will need about 14 cups of sliced cabbage.
- Transfer cabbage to a large bowl. Mix the sugar and vinegar well and pour over the cabbage. Cover and let stand 30 minutes, stir the cabbage up and let stand another 30 minutes.
- Drain Cabbage. You can hold the cabbage up to 8 hours in the fridge at this point.
- When ready to serve toss cabbage with carrots, onions, mayonnaise, salt and pepper.