I didn’t think I needed another potato salad recipe until I tasted this Egg Potato Salad!
A friend brought this to a communal dinner and I was sold at the first bite! German potato salads usually include some hard boiled eggs but this one is half potato and half egg. So it is creamy and rich. I can’t quite decide if it a potato salad or an egg salad and it ends up being both!
How Do I Know How Much Egg and Potato to Use?
You basically use the same quantity of potato and egg. The first time I made it I used the water displacement method. I put 2 cups of water in a 4 cup measuring cup. I submerged my potatoes and 3 large pushed the water level up to 4 cups so I knew I had 2 cups of potatoes. I removed the potatoes and submerged whole eggs in the shell until the water level rose to make 4 cups. So I knew I had 2 cups of eggs. This method is also great for measuring out butter or shortening as well since I always seem to cut the block at an angle and I never quite know how much I really have cut off.
I had this with just the potato, egg and green onion as ingredients the first time. It was definitely delicious but I couldn’t resist the idea of adding a few touches that I would normally put in my egg salad. So I have included some optional ingredient suggestions.
I started with 3/4 cup of mayonnaise in the salad but after it rested it had absorbed some of is to I stirred in a bit more to keep it moist.
So…the simple version is delicious on its own but you can add your own flair if you like.
- 3 large yellow flesh potatoes or potato of your choice
- 9 large eggs
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise or to taste
- 6 green onions
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup green relish or bread or 2 Tbsps bread and butter pickle juice optional
- paprika optional
- Scrub potatoes lightly and cover with 1″ of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for about 35 minutes or under potatoes are fork tender. Peel and dice when cool.
- While potatoes are cooking cover eggs with 1″ of water and just bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 17 minutes. After the 17 minutes is up rinse with cold water and submerge in ice water for 15 minutes. Peel and dice when cool.
- Trim and slice green onions.
- Combine potatoes, hard boiled eggs, onions, mayo, salt and pepper in a large bowl. (Add relish or pickle juice if using at this point if using. Sprinkle top with paprika is using.) Allow salad to rest in fridge at least 30 minutes before serving.