You can have a tasty lunch or dinner on the table in 20 Minutes with this Easy Tortellini Soup.
Use the best broth you can access. The broth is an integral part of the dish so the better the broth the better the soup. I usually have homemade broth on hand and that definitely elevates this dish. Store bought broth works too though.
Do not use bouillon cubes reconstituted for this. The broth ends up way too salty and because there is a lot of it, it can have some funky flavours especially when the beef and chicken broths are mixed.
If you are using real broth the 2 flavours kind of mix to make a mild beef tasting broth.
Look for fresh, refrigerated tortellini in the deli aisle. I use Ziggy’s that comes in a 2 pack of 340 grams each (about 14 oz). There are lots of varieties so pick whatever one appeals to you. There are 3 Cheeses, Bacon and Prosciutto, Spinach to name a few.
Any of them are delicious!
Serve this with a hearty bread for a filling lunch.
It will serve 4-6 depending on the appetites and size of serving.
It is best eaten the day it is made. Leftovers will keep overnight in the fridge but the pasta will soak up more broth. So you end up with softer tortellini and less broth. Not the end of the world but now you are eating pasta with a broth sauce!
Easy 20 Minute Tortellini Soup
- 3 cups beef broth do not use bouillon cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth do not use bouillon cubes
- 14 oz fresh tortellini flavour of your choice (I use Ziggy's beef tortellini usually)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian spices
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- grated parmesan for garnish
- Simmer broth and spices on stove top about 10 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions (usually about 6 minutes).
- Sample soup and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Ladle in to soup bowls and sprinkle with parmesan.