This Cucumber Gazpacho makes a refreshing but satisfying summer soup. Most of the work is done in your blender so it is pretty easy to make.
This makes a perfect dish for summer entertaining. You can make it all ahead and just assemble at the last minute.
It is also healthy! You can use low fat sour cream to keep the calories down.
I have been making this about once a week this summer so far and we haven’t even had a heat wave yet. Can you imagine how refreshing this would be on a hot, humid summer night?
If you want to make this into a no-cooking-at-all version you could just marinate already cooked shrimp (tails off) in the juice of a lime with the garlic powder and paprika for 20-30 minutes. That would also mean skipping the paprika syrup but you could try just a sprinkle of paprika over the soup. Or drizzle any leftover lime marinade over the soup.
And if – you are looking for a heat-wave-approved-no-cook menu check out this Easiest Ever Lime Angle Food Cake recipe.
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 3/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 1/2 cups English cucumber
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- dash of celery seed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsps fresh lime juice
- parsley for garnish optional
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp paprika I used sweet Hungarian
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and the spices and saute 2-3 minutes just until shrimp turn pink and opaque. Do not over cook the shrimp. Remove from heat and set aside. Chop roughly when cool.
- Trim ends of cucumbers and remove about half the peel. Cut into chunks and add to blender. Add the broth, sour cream, onion, celery seed and garlic clover to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the lime juice last and whirl to incorporate.
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook about 4 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Divide the Gazpacho evenly among 4 bowls.
- Heap 1/4 of the shrimp in the middle of each bowl. Drizzle with paprika syrup and serve.