Cabbage and cream go hand in hand in the Creamy Cabbage Soup With Sausage. Spicy sausage and caraway make this anything but bland.
Cabbage is often the butt of jokes which doesn’t seem fair – it is so versatile. In this recipe it adds more texture than flavour. The sausage you choose will be the most dominant flavour but there will be a creamy, tasty supporting cast underneath it.
If you shred the cabbage finely you might almost think it was a creamy rice based soup.
Add in a few more vegetables and you have yourself a hearty, low carb meal. Until you serve it with a nice fresh bun that is … like these Lemon Dill Rolls!
Chef’s Tips for Creamy Cabbage Soup With Sausage
- Choose a sausage flavour you like because it will be the main flavour you get from the sop. I used Oktoberfest sausage because they go well with caraway seasoning. A Bratwurst or other German style sausage would work well.
- If you use an Italian sausage then substitute crushed fennel or red pepper flakes for the caraway. Choose a spice to complement the style of your sausage if you are not using a German style sausage.
- Cream will separate when heated if the fat content is not high enough. Whipping cream (35%) can be boiled/reduced etc and it won’t break. To help avoid the cream separating the addition of flour changes the structure of it so it wont’ break. Think of making gravy – you dissolve the flour in the milk and then add to your hot stock and it thickens but doesn’t break. Same idea. Having said that you can use whatever percentage of cream you like to suit your taste.
Wine Pairing for Creamy Cabbage Soup
There are no overpowering flavours in this soup so your wine choices are quite varied. I would go with a sturdy dry Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc or Gruner Veltliner here.
Creamy Cabbage Soup With Sausage
- 3 Tbsps butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced finely
- 2 carrots peeed, trimmed & diced finely
- 2 stalks celery diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cup green cabbage shredded finely
- 10 oz sausage I used Oktoberfest See note 1 and 1 a.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed caraway seed See Note 2.
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tbsps flour
- 1 1/2 cups 10% cream See Note 3
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove casing from sausage if it is tough and thick. Cut sausage in to a fine dice and add to the cabbage mix.
- Add the salt, pepper, bay leaf and caraway seeds and stir.
- Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leave, shake the flour with the cream until flour is dissolved. Add the cream and heat through. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!