This Blueberry Crumble is very quick to make and a bit lighter in calories since there are no pastry crusts. The crumble on top has some oats to up the nutrition factor. It is buttery delicious and not too sweet.
If you prefer a pie version check out this Blueberry Crumble Pie that you make all in one dish!
If you need any more encouragement to enjoy this – just think of all the anti-oxidants you’ll be getting with your dessert!
You can make this all year long since frozen blueberries are readily available. You can’t beat it though when fresh blueberries come into season.
It is fantastic served warm with a bit of Cinnamon Ice Cream. ( I am all about Cinnamon Ice Cream this month!)
- 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries divided 1 + 4 cups
- 1/2 cup cup sugar divided
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsps corn starch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 Tbsps flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 4 Tbsps chilled unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Microwave 1 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup sugar about 1 minute on high so that juices are released. Stir to incorporate sugar.
- Mix warm blueberries into remaining 4 cups blueberries. Add flour, corn starch and lemon juice and stir well.
- Spray an 8" pie plate with cooking spray. Pour blueberry mixure into pan.
- In a bowl, mix flour brown sugar, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until butter is evenly distributed. Add oats and cut in roughly with pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle evenly over the berry mixture leaving about an inch of the outside edge clear of topping.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Serve warm with Cinnamon Ice cream.