Wow… this Asparagus with Olive Gremolata packs a punch. A perfect way to amp up asparagus!
Asparagus can be one of those ‘you either love it or you hate it’. I have a girlfriend who used to visit faithfully every April for a trade show. I was so excited when fresh asparagus started hitting the markets I would be sure to add it to our spring meal…. it was years before I realized she doesn’t like asparagus!
My husband is on the fence about it most of the time too. If it is over-done and limp it is a non-starter right out of the gate for him.
But this recipe had him reaching for more. I think I have finally found a way to make asparagus appealing to him!
This side is so quick and easy to make and the pay back is huge! You can have this ready to go in about 15 minutes total.
The fresh garlic makes this quite sharp so a little bit goes a long way. What a perfect topping… gluten free, low calorie. The olives add a bit of fat but you need so little of this sprinkled on you don’t get much fat but you do get a LOT of flavour!
You can serve the asparagus hot with the gremolata at room temperature. You can sprinkle it over the asparagus or pass it on the side.
I happened to have green beans in my crisper so I steamed them and sprinkled them with gremolata too. Another great way to add some interest to green beans!
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup green olives pittted
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon rind grated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic
- sea salt for garnish optional
- Wash asparagus. Hold the stem and gently bent the bottom of the spear. The asparagus will break off where the stem starts to get woody.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high. Saute asparagus approximately 7 minutes turning often.
- Chop all gremolata ingredients except lemon rind in food processor until everything is finely minced. Add the lemon rind and stir well.
- Serve asparagus with gremolata sprinkled on top of pass gremolata on the side. Sprinkle asparagus with sea salt if desired.