This light and refreshing Veggie Cheese Ball doesn’t have to look like a Christmas ornament. It is great as a spread on crackers too!
This recipe was in a book called Christmas Cheer and it was decorated like a Christmas tree ornament. So I got in the habit of making it for Christmas parties but there is nothing to stop you from making it anytime of the year.
It is actually too good to only have at Christmas!
This dip goes really well with these ‘Fire Crackers‘. The crackers have a bit of a bite to them so the cheese spread has a nice tempering effect.
You can use light cream cheese or Neufchatel. The celery, carrots and onion give is bit of mass and keep it light.
You could also use it as a spread on celery or cucumber rounds if you wan to keep the veggie theme going.
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 carrots shredded
- 2 Tbsps mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp dried onion flakes (Or finely chopped green onion)
- sweet red & green peppers to garnish (optional)
- green onion stems to garnish (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together. Form into a ball. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To decorate cut 4 strips of pepper. Make a 'track' each in the upper and lower third of the ball. Cut green onion stems the width of the 'track' and make a zig zag pattern. Add a rounded piece of pepper to the top to mimic the fastener of the ornament.