If you need a filling meal with ingredients you probably have on hand this Hamburger Soup will fit the bill.
I love having some of this on hand because it makes such a nice filling meal.
There are no strong spices or flavours going on here which makes this recipe great for kids or a broad audience. If you are into spicy heat you will have to drizzle some hot sauce on this after.
It is so thick it is almost a stew. You could reduce the broth if you want it to be more of stew texture.
This is everyday comfort food and can feed 6 people well for less than $15.
It tastes great accompanied by these Buttery Garlic Buns.
It may taste even better the 2nd day so feel free to make it ahead of time. It will keep 2-3 days in the fridge.
- 1 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 cups beef broth
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes with sauce or puree
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and in 1" cubes
- 8 oz mushroom slices rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Brown beef in a dutch oven over medium heat, about 7 minutes, stirring often to break the meat up into small uniform morsels.
- Add the onion and cook another 5 minutes. Add the broth and tomatoes including the sauce from the tomatoes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add the mushroom spices, vinegar and worcestershire sauce and simmer another 10 minutes or so.
- Serve hot and enjoy. Soup will keep 2-3 days in the refrigerator and may taste even better the next day.