This Corn Bread Dressing gives a hint of Italian fare to your holiday meal. It is much lighter tasting than the traditional bread, onion, celery, sage combination. There is a bit of wine in the mix which surprisingly adds a bit of liveliness to the dish. If you prefer not to use wine you can substitute broth.
I served it with Roast Turkey with Pomegranate Glaze, Carrots with Sage Brown Butter, and Roasted Baby Potatoes.
It is one of my favourite Thanksgiving recipes – the cornbread is delicious with fall vegetables like squash, rutabaga, sweet potatoes. This recipe made enough to nicely stuff a 12 pound turkey using body and neck cavities. You could also mix it and heat through in a casserole in the oven. In that case I would check it for moistness and add broth if it gets too dry.
It will take about 40 minutes to make and bake the basic corn bread. You can make the corn bread well in advance of the holiday meal and freeze it if you like. Then combining the bread crumbles and the rest of the ingredients goes really quickly, especially if you rough chop the vegetables in a food processor (being careful not to over-process). You can stuff your bird and bake any remaining dressing in a casserole for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
You may want to double it if you have a large crowd or want to be sure of leftovers.
Check out these other delicious sides to your holiday meal as well!
- 1 recipe Basic Corn Bread roughly crumbled
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion diced finely
- 1 red pepper diced finely
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole that will hold approximately 8 cups.
- Melt butter and sautée mushrooms, onion and pepper until onions are soft (about 7 minutes). Stir in seasonings.
- Add the vegetables to the corn bread and mix thoroughly. Add the wine and stir well.
- To stuff your turkey, rinse and clean the body and neck cavities, pack dressing in fairly solidly and close cavities with skewers to hold the dressing in. Cook turkey immediately according to size, weight chart for your turkey.
- If not stuffing your turkey or cooking extra outside the turkey, spoon dressing into your casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees approximately 30 minutes.