I have become a fan of these Crispy Oven Green Beans of late. Breading the green beans gives them enough substance you don't need another starch with your meal.
I used the French green beans from Costco. They are great because they are tender and already prepped.
These have a few steps but you can make them ahead and hold them in the fridge for most of the day before baking them in the oven.
According to variation on these around the internet they are a variation on a version of beans served at TGIF Fridays with a ranch dipping sauce.
I just served them with this Maple Mustard Salmon and they were great. I did munch on a few right off the baking sheet though so I think they would also be good as a finger food with a dip.
If you like a bit of bite to your food consider adding some cayenne pepper to the spice mix in the coating.
- 1 lb green breans ends trimmed
- 2 eggs whisked
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Cook beans in microwave with a tablespoon of water on high for about 6 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bag.
- Add the beans to the bowl with the eggs and stir to coat. Add beans to the bag of dry ingredients and shake to coat. (You may have more than enough crumbs to coat the beans).
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the beans on the baking sheet in a single layer and do not crowd. Refrigerate beans for 30 minutes to set the batter (or up to 8 hours).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray the beans lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes until crispy. Serve immediately.
- Option: You can serve these as a side dish or allow them to cool slightly and serve with a ranch dipping sauce,