This Lemon Zucchini Risotto ups the veggie quotient in your meal and helps use up all the zucchini that is floating around at this time of year.
It makes a great side dish with seafood, lamb, chicken. The over-riding flavour is the lemon and the Asiago so think anything that goes with lemon for sure.
You can switch up the herbs for whatever you have in your garden - basil, parsley, thyme, tarragon.
First you coat the rice in the hot skillet with the olive oil. I like to add a splash of white wine because it gives it a bright note. You don't have to if you prefer not to.
I grate the zucchini first and let it sit in a strainer until I add it. A little bit of water will drain out. You can also squeeze more water out of it if you want a less moist risotto.
Many recipes call to heat the broth before adding it. I never have so it is one less step and pot. Risotto is best when served right after it is made for the brightest flavour and best texture. Having said that I love having leftovers too. Risotto is 'toothsome' enough I will have a bowl for lunch all on its own. The second day the texture is a bit softer but the flavour is still there.
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- ½ cup onion minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup zucchini grated, skin on
- 6 oz asiago cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill fronds minced
- ¼ lemon zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- Grate zucchini (I use a box grater) and allow it to sit in a strainer until ready to add to the risotto. It will lose some water so set it over the sink or a bowl. You can squeeze more water out of it just before adding it to the risotto if you like.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add rice and cook while stirring about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Do not let garlic brown.
- Add white wine if using. It should sputter and begin to evaporate almost instantly. Stir until wine has been absorbed or evaporated. (About 2 -3 minutes)
- Add onion and ½ cup broth. Cook until broth is absorbed. (About 4-5 minutes). Continue to add broth in ½ cup amounts and cook until it is absorbed. Stir often.
- Add the zucchini with the 2nd last broth addition. Cook and stir til broth is absorbed. When the last broth addition has been absorbed add the grated cheese, lemon zest and minced herbs.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and garnish with more fresh herbs as you are serving.