Easy and elegant crab stuffed wonton appetizers. This recipe makes about 32 pieces so great for entertaining a crowd.
It took me a few tries to get the size right for these tasty little bites. The first time I quartered the wonton wrappers - too small and finicky; the next time I cut them in half diagonally - better but not uniform. Third time was a charm! I used the empty crab can like a cookie cutter to just cut off the square corners. I ended up with about 3 ½" rounds. That way I could twist the wonton easily around the little blob of filling. It worked perfectly - no leaks, nice uniform finish!
The filling is pretty easy too- canned crab meat, cream cheese and Chili Garlic Sauce. I added a bit of minced water chestnuts and green onion. In one of the test drives we had some non-seafood eaters so I left the crab out of some of them and the water chestnuts and green onions made tasty little bites on their own.
These are fairly delicate in flavour on their own. I serve them with some of my Easy Asian Dipping Sauces.
The recipe below uses 1 package of wonton wrappers. You know how wonton wrappers come as two sealed packages- well you only need one of the packages for this recipe. There should be about 32 wonton sheets.
Don't be tempted to over-stuff the purses or the cheese will ooze out during baking and they get messy. I used a scant teaspoon of filling in the middle of my 3 ½" round wrapper. Then just fold the various points of the circle up over the cheese filling and give the gathered wonton a little twist. I didn't need to use any flour paste to get them to hold together.
I sprayed the purses before baking with cooking spray and baked them on parchment paper for about 20 minutes. Pretty easy!
You can make them early in the day if you want. Just cover them with a damp tea towel in the refrigerator so the wontons don't dry out.
Serve with dipping sauce.
- 1 pkg wonton wrappers (about 32 squares)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 can lump crab meat 113 grams or about 4 oz
- 1 can water chestnuts you will only need 3-4 water chestnuts, finely minced
- 2 Tbsps green onions finely minced
- 2 Tbsps chili garlic sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the wonton wrappers and using a cookie cutter or empty can from the crab or water chestnuts cut each wrapper into a round.
- Cream the cheese with the chili garlic sauce and mix the other ingredients in until evenly mixed.
- Position a scant teaspoon of crab filling in center of the wonton round.
- Fold the edge evenly up around the filling. Twist the ends to close.
- Place the wontons on the parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake about 20 minutes til wrappers are just starting to brown.
- Serve with dipping sauces.