Servings 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 celery ribs sliced diagonally
- 3 bell peppers mix of red and green
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless, 1" cubes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 andouille sausage sliced cross-wise
- 2 Tbsps ketchup
- 2 cups shrimp stock or chicken broth if you prefer
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes drained of liquid
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 tsps Homemade Cajun Seasoning or commercial mix of your choice
- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp peeled and deveined
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Sauté onion and celery about 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and salt and pepper. Cook another 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add chicken cubes, paprika and oregano. Cook over medium high heat about 5 minutes until chicken is browned. If your sausage is raw add the slices at the same time as the chicken and brown it.
Add the ketchup, tomatoes, shrimp stock, cajun seasoning and rice. Cover the pot and simmer about 20 minutes until rice is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Add the shrimp and stir it in. Turn heat to low and let shrimp cook in the mix about 4-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve. Pass additional red pepper flakes if desired.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 837mg | Potassium: 650mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g