There are lots of interesting specialty wines on offer in time for the upcoming Holiday Season as well as few good values wines you may not want to miss.
Here are my picks for good value wines <$35 from the LCBO Vintages Release for Nov 23rd, 2019.
You can’t always find these wines on offer so if you are a fan of sweet wines for apératif or digestif you may want to consider picking up a few for the Holidays or for the upcoming year.
- Sommavite Santovino Vino Liquoroso, 500 mL bottle | VINTAGES#: 927 $10.95 This Trebbiano based sweet wine is fortified to 16% abv. Sugar content is 59 grams/l so perhaps not a dessert wine. Vintages are suggesting you chille it and serve as an aperatif. I have tasted a sweet Trebbiano Vin Santo and it was deliciously defined by nutty caramel tones. I would think of pairing this with dried apricots, nuts, Stilton cheese with mango or pineapple. You get the idea.
- The De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2016 (375 bottle | VINTAGES#: 917252 $29.95 ) weighs in at 10 % abv and 216 grams/l. The Noble One Botrytis is Australia’s version of Sauterne and is always held in high esteem. This one ws rated 95 by David Bicknell of winecompanion.com.au.
There are a few outstanding Canadian wines that would make well received hostess or Christmas gifts for the wine lovers on your list. All have been recognized by various wine writers as outstanding examples of their kind, scoring 90+.
- Kew Barrel Aged Blanc de Blanc 2011 Sparkling VINTAGES#: 438994 $29.95
- 2027 Falls Vineyard Riesling 2017 VINTAGES#: 294041 $18.95
- Cave Spring CSV Riesling 2016 | VINTAGES#: 566026 $29.95
- Bachelder les Villages Pinot Noir Reserve 2016 | VINTAGES#: 11582 $29.95
- Queylus Tradition Pinot Noir 2016 VINTAGES#: 392738 $31.95
- Château de Nages Vieilles Vignes Blanc 2017 VINTAGES#: 479659 $19.95 Score 92
Here are a few outstanding red wines all recognized as being special values and scoring 90+ points. Click on the wine name to go the reviewer’s full notes.
- La Posta Pizzella Malbec 2017 VINTAGES#: 166298 $15.95 Score 93
- Dandelion Vineyards Lioness of McLaren Vale Shiraz 2017 VINTAGES#: 357475 $20.95 Score 95
- Robert Oatley Signature Series G-18 Grenache 2018 VINTAGES#: 10524 $19.95 Score 92
- Rymill Coonawarra Classic Cabernet Sauvignon 2015 VINTAGES#: 10541 $29.95 Score 96
- Roche de Bellene Cuvée Réserve Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2017 VINTAGES#: 299859 $22.95
- Porca de Murça Reserva Tinto 2014 VINTAGES#: 684753 $17.95 Score 90 (The no-reserva version of this wine is my ‘house red’ in the Azores so I can’t wait to try this one!)
- Sierra Norte Equilibrio 9 Monastrell 2016 VINTAGES#: 10676 $14.95 Score 92
You can now order LCBO products on-line . Of late LCBO have indicated all release wines are available for on-line ordering.
Click on the wine name above to link to that product on the LCBO site so you can read the full review and check for availability. To find that wine in your area just click on the Select Store button on the right margin. A dialogue box will come up. Add your postal code to get a list of stores closest to you that have it in stock.
The Best and The Rest
Subscribers to my newsletter will receive full reviews of many wines in all price ranges a few days prior to the release. My reviews will be published on-line a week after the release date. If you want to receive my standouts from the tasting in your in-basket before the release date you can sign up here.