This makes a really simple, subtle yet delicious dish. The walnut oil and toasted walnuts give a subtle nutty flavor and you can vary the amount of garlic to suit your taste.
Walnut oil is high in omega 3 fatty acids so it contributes to the health benefits related to omega 3’s – cholesterol lowering, anti-inflammatory, heart health benefits. Walnuts are one of the best sources of anti-oxidants among tree nuts and are high in Vit B 1,2 & 3, Vit E and niacin. Walnut oil must be kept refrigerated once opened.
I served this with my Apple Pecan salad which also uses walnut oil in the dressing so they complement each other very nicely. This makes a great meatless meal and is quick to throw together.
It is a subtle flavor overall, so use the best ingredients possible. If you can’t find walnut oil, look for hazelnut oil. I find walnut oil usually in Italian specialty stores or European delis. You could use olive oil and get the nutty flavor from the crushed walnuts in the sauce.
As written you won’t be waking up with a garlic hangover or reliving the garlic for hours on end – it tastes more like a bit of roasted garlic. If you are a ‘flavor warrior’ you can up the ante by adding red pepper flakes at the table, or increase the garlic to taste. A sprinkle of cracked black pepper can also add a flavor hit.
- 375 grams spaghetti
- 4 Tbsps walnut oil (sub hazel nut or olive oil if desired)
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced (you can add more to taste)
- 3 Tbsp finely ground parmesan
- 3 oz shaved fresh parmesan
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While water is coming to a boil for the pasta, toast walnut pieces in dry skillet over medium heat about 13 minutes. Stir occasionally and watch carefully so they don't burn.
- Heat walnut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden brown - about 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- When pasta is cooked turn off the heat, drain the pasta and return it to pot. Add the warm garlic, oil mix. Add the ground parmesan and stir to combine. Add the toasted walnuts.
- Serve immediately with shaved parmesan for garnish.