Forget Lemon Meringue in favour of this light, airy Lemon Chiffon Pie! A great dessert any time of the year. Continue reading “Lemon Chiffon Pie”
This is another of my favourite recipes. I just got fresh, fresh, Ontario apples at our market and they were outstanding in this pie. I heard on a radio program once that most of the apples we can buy in our supermarkets are at least four months old by the time they hit the shelf. I know apples keep if properly stored but it sure makes a difference if you can source some fresh apples in season from an orchard or market near you.
This pie uses my Easy Pie Crust recipe and the filling is generous. I was afraid that my top crust was going to be too thin by the time I got it big enough to cover the mound of filling but it forced me to roll it out thinly and it was wonderful.
I like this recipe because it cooks long and at a bit lower heat. Often pie recipes start the first 15 minutes at 425 degrees and then reduce to 350 or 375 degrees. I find my crust is always too brown when I do this. With the even temperature on this bake time my crust was a light golden brown.
You will want to bake this with a pan underneath to catch any juices. There is so much filling in this pie you will definitely need it.
I served it with Apple Cider Ice Cream for a double apple hit!
- 1 Easy Pie Crust https://thewineloverskitchen.com/recipe/easy-pie-crust/
- 8 cups apples cored, peeled, sliced (Cortland are good)
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel, core, chop apples. Cover apple chunks in water with a squirt of lemon juice so they don't turn brown while you prepare them all.
- Drain apple pieces and mix with all Filling ingredients.
- Roll out bottom pie crust, transfer bottom crust to 8" pie pan and pour in the filling. Top with upper crust. Make slits for steam to escape and bake. Bake with a pan underneath to catch the drips.
- Serve warm.
August is the perfect time to make peach pie. Peach pie is definitely in the running to be my favourite pie. Continue reading “August Peach Pie with Cinnamon Ice Cream”
Thanks goodness for this Easy Pie Crust recipe! I have tried so many different pie crust recipes in my life! Continue reading “Easy Pie Crust”