This is a great way to use up that leftover turkey – particularly the little bits left over after you have used the nice breast meat for sandwiches with mayo and cranberry sauce! Turkey sandwiches on soft white bread or a dinner roll with mayo and cranberry sauce are a tradition in our house. We usually have them as a late night snack or for breakfast the morning after the big meal. So now what when all you have left are the little turkey bits and pieces too crumbly to warrant a sandwich?
Here is the perfect answer! This recipe is all about using up leftovers so I wrote the recipe the way I like to serve it best but it lends itself to many variations. But the one thing you do want to plan ahead on is – buy the frozen pastry puff shells now and tuck them in your freezer so you will have them on hand. The rest of it you probably have on hand.
There are about 4 parts to this filling
- the leftover turkey finely diced
- something savory -like mushrooms, onions or shallots
- something veggie like leftover green peas, sweet red pepper or celery. You could use corn or carrots finely minced as well.
- a creamy type sauce. I happen to have fennel cream sauce on hand because I make batches of it and freeze portions. Any condensed cream soup would work too, cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of chicken.
- a garnish that is a bit tart – pomegranate seeds, dried cranberry sprinkles, mandarin oranges finely chopped. I have even put my leftover cranberry sauce into the sauce. It makes a bit pink and sweetish. Presentation may be a bit compromised but it tastes good!
Mandarin oranges and pomegranates and cranberries are available the same time as turkey dinners are on tap, in Canada at least. Check out this really simple way to seed a fresh pomegranate with no muss, no fuss! And you probably have onion, cream soup and some kind of veggie on hand.
So feel free to mix and match with whatever you want to use up or have on hand. You can also freeze that last bit of diced turkey and put this together in a few weeks time when you want something fast.
I serve it with this zesty Pomegranate Salad.