These Phyllo Pastry Nests make a quick and easy base for any variety of fillings. I made a seafood and pepper saute to fill my first ones but I can think of all kinds of creamy fillings you might want to ‘corral’ in these pastry rings.
I saw this technique on a TV show called Cook Like a Chef. They are more about the technique and science of why certain ingredients work rather than the actual recipe.
I usually have phyllo dough left over when I make something and it doesn’t keep so what to do with it? Well now you can whip up a few of these bases and refreeze them to have on hand.
The technique is to roll the sheet of pastry dough on the long handle of a wooden spoon. When you slide it off form it into a ring. .
Brush with melted butter and sprinkle whatever seasonings you want to showcase. I used butter, garlic powder, fennel seeds and some lemon pepper because I was anticipating a seafood filling.
Once the ring is buttered and seasoned you could freeze them in an air tight container and just pull them out when you are ready to serve them. Heat up the filling separately while the phyllo bakes so it stays crisp.
A word of warning… these do not reheat well. They get pretty tough the second day so only plan on what you want to serve at one sitting.
I used this Grilled Pepper and Scallop filling but you can use your imagination – you could make a scrambled egg/omelette-like filling, Lemon chicken filling, beef filling. This would be a great way to present some leftovers as well.
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- cooking spray
- 1 Tbsps butter melted
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper or substitute spices of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spray the phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Starting at the short end, wrap the sheet around the handle of a wooden spoon. Push the coiled dough off the end of the spoon and form into a ring.
- Mix the spices with the melted butter and brush over top of phyllo ring.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes until rings are crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and fill with desired filling.