Busy mornings? These Non-Dairy Overnight Oats are make ahead, delicious and filling. You can vary the fruit so you don’t get bored.
Some people associate oats with oatmeal and winter breakfast but this is really an ideal recipe for summer when so many fresh fruits are available.
And… did I mention they are sooo good for you? Oats are high in protein and fiber, can help control blood sugar and cholesterol. Chia seeds- high quality protein, omega 3s, high fiber, loaded with antioxidants. Almond milk – low calorie, non-inflammatory. Fruit – vitamin C, antioxidants.
No cooking required but you need to plan ahead so the oats can soak overnight. I make up enough to serve over 2-3 days. By day 3 the oats are quite creamy but I don’t mind. Suit yourself, it only takes a few minutes to throw this together so you can do it often or in batches.
This makes a great cottage or camping breakfast. You can combine it at home and take it with your or mix it up there. No cooking required! It is also refreshing with the chilled almond milk and fresh fruit on a warm summer morning.
Use whatever fruit is in season and switch it up so you don’t get bored. In winter frozen fruit works well too. The possibilities are almost endless – cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, cherries, kiwi, orange or mandarin….
- 1 cup rolled oats not instant
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen fruit
- 1 Tbsp chopped almonds optional for topping
- Mix all ingredients except chopped almonds, if using, in a mason jar or sealable container. Refrigerate at least 8 hours. Can be made 24-48 hours in advance. Serve with chopped almonds for garnish if desired.